Going to a spa for a professional facial treatment is an excellent way to give yourself a well-deserved treat. With Covid 19 shutdowns and health and safety concerns, that spa day I have longed for may not become a reality anytime in the near future.
But don’t fear… you can achieve spa-quality, professional results with a facial at home using skincare tools and facial devices.
Our ultimate guide to great facials at home includes the best skincare tools, devices, and treatments you should try for professional results with a facial at home.
A facial is a treatment that allows you to pay focused attention and address several of skin concerns and issues with different skin and facial treatments.
Facials are made of several skin treatments that can be tailored to suit your specific needs, skin type, and skin concerns.
Facials usually involve face steaming, exfoliation, extraction, moisturizing and cleaning your pores, and more specific facial treatments can target various skin concerns such as lymphatic drainage facial massages and treatments that work to tighten skin on the face, neck, and body.
You can even give yourself a facelift at home using a handheld microcurrent device. Facials at home are easy, and you can really achieve amazing results with the right skincare tools and devices.
Should You Do a Facial at Home?
I say, YES!
Your skin will thank you for it.
Even if you don’t have blemishes, acne, or other skin problems, facials can protect your skin from free radical damage and help keep the cells healthy.
Besides keeping your skin looking fresh and radiant, mastering the facial at home comes with many benefits.
Benefits of Facials At Home
Best At-Home Facial Tools and Devices
For successful a facial at home, you need to invest in the right facial tools and devices to get the professional results your skin deserves.
You also need to master proper techniques for each skin treatment to avoid doing more harm than good by damaging your skin. Luckily, most of the facial tools and beauty devices we cover here are easy to use and will deliver excellent results.
Facial Cleansing Brush
For the best results from your facial at home, cleansing your face is the first step before starting your facial at home treatment.
Removing all traces of dirt, sweat, makeup, and sunscreen before applying any treatment is vital for success.
Although you can always use your fingers to clean your skin, cleansing brushes are a more effective facial tool.
Are facial cleansing brushes good for your skin?
Facial cleansing brushes have a lot of benefits but there are some drawbacks you should know if you are thinking about incorporating a facial cleansing brush into your facial at home routine.
|Facial cleansing brushes help remove stubborn dirt and makeup.|
|A facial cleansing brush will be able to reach all the corners of your face, effectively removing all dirt, makeup, sweat, etc., setting you up for a successful facial treatment.|
|In some cases, a facial cleansing brush can be too harsh, especially if you have overly sensitive skin or use the brush too often or too vigorously.|
|Facial brushes can make active acne get worse, if not used properly for your skin type.|
This battery-powered cleansing brush can be adjusted into 2 different speeds to deliver deep cleaning and mild exfoliation. The whole system is water-resistant, and the handle allows you to rotate the brush to reach the hard to reach areas.
You’ll receive a tube of an exfoliating cleanser with your brush, but you can also use it with your favorite makeup remover and facial cleanser.
If you plan to use it every day, you should use the slower speed to ensure that you won’t overly dry your face.
This compact yet potent facial cleansing brush is an excellent addition to your skincare regimen.
It features 3 different heads, making it easy to customize the cleansing process to suit your needs.
There are 3 different settings to choose from ranging from low speed to high, and the device has a timer that notifies you after 20 seconds, reminding you to move the brush to a different spot.
After 1 minute, the brush will turn itself off to prevent excessive cleaning that can strip the skin of all the natural oils which can lead to drying out your skin.
It charges in 1.5 hours and can work up to 30 or 45 days without needing to be recharged again.
The Librex Sonic Vibrating Facial Cleansing Brush is an excellent choice for a facial at home, and its compact design makes this facial cleansing brush perfect for travel.
Facial steaming helps soften the skin and the gunk that can be still trapped in your pores after using a cleansing brush. Remember, to see the best results from doing a facial at home, you want to start with your skin being as clean as can be.
A facial steamer can also help to open up the pores, allowing your skin to be ready to absorb all the facial treatments that follow.
Facial steaming can follow cleansing or exfoliating depending on which facial treatment you want to do.
A good facial steamer device is easy to use and will allow you to steam your face safely before a facial.
Benefits of Facial Steaming
- Facial steaming will loosen up the trapped oil and make it easier to remove, making your skin cleaner.
- Facial steaming can promote blood circulation, improving your overall skin tone and texture.
- Facial steaming prepares your skin to better absorb any of the facial treatments that follow.
Limitations of Facial Steaming
- People with sensitive skin can find facial steamers too irritating.
- If the heat is set too high, some people may cause damage such as broken capillaries from facial steaming.
This special facial steamer generates nano-ionic steam that charges your skin with all the useful negative ions.
This nano steam is 10 times more potent at penetrating the skin. In addition to your useful facial steamer, you will receive a 5-piece kit for proper facial extraction.
This kit can be used to remove blackheads, whiteheads, and clear blemishes without scarring the skin.
The steamer itself can be used as a humidifier or to warm towels.
You can add any herbs to make your facial steaming even more refreshing.
Facial rollers are hand-held tools that you definitely need to incorporate into your facial at home and every day skin care regimen.
Facial rollers look very much like paint rollers and can be made of real crystals or silicone.
Rose quartz, amethyst, obsidian, and jade are healing crystals and usually feel refreshingly cool to the touch.
You can also find metal facial rollers.
When used appropriately, facial rollers can deliver several skin benefits.
The best way to use a facial roller is to use it along with your favorite facial oil or serum, as this will help the facial device roll smoothly across your skin.
You should start at the neck and roll upward, not back and forth.
Try starting from the jawline and roll upward towards your ears.
You can use a facial roller for about 5 minutes, twice or three times a week.
As a matter of fact, some specialists encourage you to use a facial roller daily for maximum benefits.
A face roller can also be used with face yoga to help erase the fine line and wrinkles from your skin.
With regular use, you will notice a significant change in the way your face looks and feels. A quick face massage with a facial roller is a great, easy-to-do facial at home treatment you can treat yourself to daily.
Benefits of Facial Rollers
- Facial rollers can help boost the blood circulation, delivering more oxygen and nutrients to the cells in your face.
- A facial roller stimulates lymphatic drainage, thus improving the puffiness under the eyes. For the same reason, it can help contour the face.
- Facial rolling can also help improve the symptoms of sinuses.
- Use a face roller after it has been refrigerated to help soothe your skin.
- Facial rollers can help relieve stress and anxiety.
Limitations of Facial Rollers
- To see real results from facial rolling, you must use your facial roller consistently.
- Facial rollers typically don’t work for deep wrinkles.
- When you’re buying a crystal roller, especially if it’s made of jade, you should clean it properly because the porous stone can be home to harmful bacteria.
This set is made of real jade stone, making this facial roller feel cool enough to soothe your skin.
The set can be used on the face, neck, chest, and overall body to reduce the signs of aging.
You’ll also receive a Gua Sha scraper that helps restore firmness and elasticity to your skin. It will help improve your jowls’ condition and give your face that youthful V-shape while getting rid of puffiness in your face.
Rose quartz has many healing properties as it promotes self-love and peace.
This tool combines the therapeutic benefits of rose quartz with the power of vibration to heal and stimulate your skin.
The facial roller will erase fine lines and improve the contour of your face while inducing collagen production. The undereye press helps eliminate puffiness, giving you an awake fresh look.
Microneedling works by making tiny cuts in the skin. As a result, the skin sends signals to the brain to repair these minor cuts by producing more collagen.
When you use a derma roller to prick your skin, you must make sure that your skin is clean and clear of acne.
Microneedling can also be used to improve the growth of hair and the look of stretch marks.
Nevertheless, when not careful, microneedling can cause some serious skin issues.
Benefits of Microneedling
- Microneedling prepares your skin for better penetration of facial oils and serums.
- When used effectively, microneedling can improve the look of acne scars.
- Compared to more invasive procedures, microneedling has a lower downtime for most people.
- Microneedling can work on stretch marks and hair.
- Microneedling improves skin tone and can even out discoloration.
- Microneedling eliminates fine lines.
- Microneedling can improve the look of pores.
Limitations of Microneedling
- If you choose the wrong size of needles, microneedling can cause more scarring.
- If you have a chronic skin condition like active acne, eczema, or psoriasis, you should avoid microneedling.
- Microneedling doesn’t show immediate results. Results can be visible after 4 to 6 weeks, with regular treatments.
Derma rollers are available in multiple sizes, so you can choose the smallest one and work your way up.
If you’re not tolerant of pain, you can use a numbing cream before using the derma roller to make your experience more comfortable.
Featuring 540 titanium needles, this derma roller will deliver visible and long-lasting results. The needles measure 0.25 mm, so they’re the perfect size for a beginner.
When used regularly, this derma roller will induce the production of collagen and improve the absorption of several skincare serums.
The titanium needles won’t rust, however, you should soak your derma roller in alcohol before and after every use to make sure that it’s clean.
You can start by using it every other week and build your way up until you can use it every other day. When you use a serum that contains matrixyl, you will notice a visible improvement in the way your fine lines look.
This process involves removing the top layer of the skin.
Dermaplaning will get rid of the dead skin cells and facial hair, leaving your skin glowing and feeling smooth.
Dermaplaning is a type of mechanical exfoliation, so it shouldn’t be done every day.
You can do it once a month or every 3 weeks for the best results.
There are many at home dermaplaning tools on the market today, and finding the best one for your needs will help you get the best results.
Benefits of Dermaplaning
- Dermaplaning can be used in case of dull skin. It effectively removes the dead skin cells that affect the way your skin looks.
- Dermaplaning can help with the look of acne scars.
- Removing facial hair with dermaplaning will make your skin look more refreshed. The hair also traps oils and bacteria that cause skin infections.
- Makeup application is easier after dermaplaning.
Limitations of Dermaplaning
- Some redness is common after dermaplaning.
- If you’re using it to remove hair, the results aren’t long-lasting and will require more frequent dermaplaning treatments.
This painless tool combines the benefits of dermaplaning with vibrations to improve the texture of your skin. As the tool removes facial hair, it also erases the fine lines and gets rid of the dead cells that affect the texture of your skin.
The SIMA Sonic Dermaplaning Tool improves the appearance of enlarged pores and uneven skin tone.
It comes with a 7-week supply of shaving heads, and the tool can be adjusted into 3 different settings.
Microdermabrasion is another procedure that aims at removing the top layer of the skin to promote cell regeneration.
Microdermabrasion can improve skin tone and make your skin complexion glow.
Depending on your skin type, you can start by doing microdermabrasion every other month to build up your skin’s tolerance until you can do it every week.
Microdermabrasion has many benefits, but you need to be aware of its side effects.
Benefits of Microdermabrasion
- Microdermabrasion can improve the look of dull skin.
- Microdermabrasion can decrease the size of enlarged pores.
- Microdermabrasion can help with minor fine lines or wrinkles.
- Microdermabrasion can help improve the signs of melasma and age spots.
Limitations of Microdermabrasion
- Microdermabrasion can cause a burning sensation.
- When not done properly, microdermabrasion can cause scars.
- Microdermabrasion increases the sensitivity of sunlight and active serums like vitamin C and acids.
The Neutrogena Microdermabrasion Starter Kit is a complete facial system that removes the top layer of your skin to reveal a layer of new and healthy skin in the short term.
In the long term, you will enjoy firm and healthy-looking skin.
The set comes with single-use puffs with pre-dosed ultra-fine crystals and mild purifiers for gentle exfoliation.
The kit also delivers gentle massaging to help with skin renewal. Because it’s so gentle, you can use it several times per week.
Light Therapy Devices
Light therapy devices use LED lights that can be used as treatment for a variety of things such as healing wounds, improving the appearance of acne scars, removing age spots, and many others.
The LED light delivers low energy deep into the skin to stimulate collagen and produce elastin for firm, elastic, and tight skin.
There are different types of light therapy devices as well as different types and colors of therapy lights that can be used for treatments depending on the problem you wish to target.
Blue light therapy is suitable for oily skin because it controls the production of oil.
Red light therapy is used for a variety of treatments including treatments to reduce the signs of aging because red light therapy can induce the production of collagen.
Light therapy devices can be available as hand-held wands, lay down beds, light panels or as led masks you can wear.
Benefits of Light Therapy Devices
- Light therapy devices can improve the visible signs of aging, like fine lines and wrinkles.
- For pain, light therapy devices improve wound healing and reduce the formation of scars.
- Light therapy devices are potent at treating chronic skin problems like rosacea and eczema.
Limitations of Light Therapy Devices
- Several treatments are needed to show the desired results.
- In some cases, light therapy can cause redness or inflammation.
This FDA Cleared hand held light therapy device has been used and recommended by Dermatologists and Estheticians for over a decade.
This device restores your skin’s clear and healthy appearance by destroying the acne-causing bacteria on your skin.
This patented LED Light Therapy devices can be used on all skin types.
This LED Face Mask features 150 non-heat-producing high-quality LEDs. The LED mask delivers 7 different LED colors to target various skin issues.
You only need to wear the mask for 10 or 20 minutes.
After several uses, you will notice the overall improvement in your skin texture.
Light therapy can control the production of oil, tightens the pores, and improves the look of fine lines when used several times per week.
Chemical peels exfoliate the skin without any mechanical tools to reveal fresh-looking skin. Peels can be light, medium, or deep, depending on the type of chemicals used.
Peels help with acne scars, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkles. However, they shouldn’t be used too often as they can compromise your skin’s moisture barrier.
For best results, you should use mild chemical peels once a week or every two weeks. Medium-strength peels should only be used when you’ve built up your skin’s tolerance, and they can be used once a month.
It’s recommended that you only use strong chemical peels in the doctor’s office to avoid chemical burns.
Benefits of Chemical Peels
- Chemical peels remove the outer layer of dead skin.
- Peels help with skin discoloration.
- Chemical peels improve the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chemical peels make the skin softer.
Limitations of Chemical Peels
- When not used properly, they can make the skin too itchy.
- Peels can over-dry the skin if used too often.
- They increase the sensitivity to the sun. You need to wear sunscreen all the time, or you might have spots.
Glycolic acid is a mild chemical peel that can be used once a week until your skin has got used to it. Later on, you can use it every night to exfoliate your skin gently.
This potent AHA doesn’t feel too irritating, so it won’t dry your skin. This toning solution improves the look of texture and acne scars with continuous use.
It has a PH level of 3.6, so it’s quite potent. It should only be used at night. In the morning, you need to wear sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage.
Face masks, or facial sheet masks, are concentrated treatments that deliver immediate benefits to your skin.
Your face mask should be the last part of your skincare regimen, allowing the active ingredients to sink in.
There are several types of face masks, so they can be used to hydrate the skin, control oil production, or pull out impurities.
They come in different formulas, so you can find clay face masks, sheet masks, cream masks, and peel-off masks. Sheet masks have lots of benefits but come with some limitations that you need to be aware of.
Benefits of Face Masks
- Applying a face mask will help you relax.
- Clay masks help unclog the pores, so they can help with blemishes and acne.
- Hydrating face masks improve the look of fine lines.
- Some masks can help exfoliate the skin.
Limitations of Face Masks
- Sheet masks are not environmentally-friendly because they cause unnecessary waste.
- Some types of face masks contain alcohol, so they can be drying.
- You need to make sure that your face mask doesn’t contain any acids or other exfoliants if you have already applied a chemical peel.
A mask can be used once or twice a week to deliver the best benefits. You can switch between several masks to improve the overall look of your skin.
This mask is packed with antioxidants, so it can improve the overall texture of the skin by protecting it from the damage of free radicals. It reduces blemishes and blackheads, giving you glowy and smooth skin.
The formula contains several nutrients and minerals that protect your skin from aging and reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles. It contains volcanic mud that balances the PH level of your skin and vitamin C that improves the look of sun damage and age spots.
This EWG Verified Mud Mask can be customized to your skincare needs.
A blend of dry French Green Clay and assorted organic herbs, designed to absorb excess oil and toxins from the skin.
Made with 100% organic ingredients, this mask can be customized to be moisturizing, refining, or even exfoliating!
Enjoying a rejuvenating facial at home will help you have the skin you’ve always dreamed of.
There are several skin care tools and devices that you can combine to create a tailored skin care regimen and get professional, spa-quality results with a facial at home.