Confession: it was only recently that I began to wear sunscreen every day. I never even wore moisturizer during the day or eye cream until the last few years. I wish I could reverse time and apply sunscreen religiously and never go outdoors without a hat and sunglasses!
I am crazy about clean, natural skincare and protecting my skin from the harsh effects of the sun now. I wear my Erno Laszlo Face and Body sunscreen on my face, spray Aveeno on my arms and body, then add a little Murad oil control SPF 15 on my t-zone.
Did you know that its Skin Cancer Awareness Month? Yes, it is. And here are some facts and tips from Aveeno. Don’t forget your sunscreen! Aveeno will be touring around the country, doing skin checks from certified dermatologists. It would be wise to get yourself checked out- just in case.
In the meantime, remember your sunscreen! Luckily products like those from St. Tropez offer a variety of bronzing lotions and powders so you can fake a good tan!
QUICK FACTS and TIPS from Dermatologist Jeanine Downie:
* You should wear sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher every day of the year—rain, snow, or shine—because your skin is still being exposed to lethal UV rays
* Many people believe that they will become Vitamin D deficient by wearing sunscreen; according to Dr. Downie, this is false! As a population, we receive more than enough Vitamin D through our diets
* People with darker skin, often believe that they do not need to wear sunscreen. Again false, says Dr. Downie! The threat of skin cancer exists for all skin tones and races
* More than 3.5 million skin cancer cases in two million people are diagnosed annually and one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
* The Tour will visit over 80 locations through September where consumers will have the opportunity to receive FREE full-body skin cancer screenings in a private room inside of the Tour’s 38-foot customized RV, conducted by local dermatologists (Visit skincancer.org for the full tour schedule)
* Over the past two years, more than 6,500 people have received free screenings, and of those screened, more than 2,000 potential skin cancers and pre-cancers were found, including 116 suspected cases of melanoma
* The AVEENO® Brand will be distributing samples of CONTINUOUS PROTECTION® Sunblock Lotion SPF 55 as well as the new POSITIVELY AGELESS™ Sunblock Lotion SPF 70 for Face, featuring the latest breakthrough in sun protection: ENVIROBLOCK™ Triple defense technology
* With a longstanding commitment to ACTIVE NATURALS® technology and making sustainable strides, the AVEENO® Brand has partnered with TerraCycle™ to give new life to empty AVEENO® Product tubes by ‘upcycling’ tubes collected at tour stops into eco-friendly items, such as household items, that will then be available for purchase at major retailers nationwide.