For years, I refused to buy any makeup or skin care products from Target (where I shop quite a lot), thinking all the makeup and skin care they sold, with the exception of a couple of brands like ELF and Burt’s Bees, was conventional, toxic, and to be avoided.
For some strange reason, I didn’t think Target or Amazon would sell any ‘clean beauty’… I didn’t think anyone at Target or Amazon even knew what clean beauty was.
+ IN THIS ARTICLE
Can You Find Clean Beauty at a Drugstore?
There is a lot of beauty industry talk about safety and clean ingredients and chemicals. It can be overwhelming to keep up with, especially for those who are new to this clean beauty revolution and have only recently begun to learn about clean beauty.
One of the questions I get often is about price and budget. Organic makeup is usually going to be more expensive than their conventional makeup counterparts.
I’ve learned that, yes, there are synthetic and chemically-derived ingredients in many conventional products but just because a product is made with non-organic ingredients does not mean these items are going to make you sick.
I thought all green beauty was safe and gentle while all conventional products were super hazardous and would eventually do more harm than good.
As I continue on my clean beauty journey, I’m realizing there are safe cosmetics you can buy from your favorite superstore or drugstore, and I did a little digging to find the best clean beauty at Target and on Amazon to share with you.
I always try to encourage people to do RESEARCH… I love research!
Start by learning about some of the more common ingredients found in cosmetics and skincare.
You’ll quickly have the knowledge to make smart product choices and trust me, the 1st time you pick up a new product, read the ingredient list, and spot a harmful ingredient, it is a pretty awesome feeling…. empowerment.
Resources like the EWG’s Skin Deep® database are invaluable and very easy to use and learn from.
Best Clean Beauty at Target & on Amazon.com
Top 5 Non-Toxic Foundations with GoodGuide Rating = 10
- L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift Line Minimizing Makeup
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 55Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Lightweight Cream Foundation Makeup with Vitamin E Antioxidants
- Get a flawless, natural look and help protect against the sun’s damaging rays with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Lightweight Cream Foundation Makeup with Vitamin E and Broad Spectrum SPF 55
- Non-greasy cream foundation provides buildable coverage without feeling heavy. It also provides the highest level of UVA/UVB sun protection available in a compact foundation
- Cream foundation makeup contains vitamins A, B5, C, and E
- Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder FoundationNeutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation
- Create a natural looking finish with Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Lightweight Compact Powder Oil-Free Mineral Foundation
- Mineral powder foundation provides sheer to medium buildable coverage that blends effortlessly for a natural look
- This face powder helps even and enhance skin clarity, tone, and texture while reducing the appearance of redness
- e.l.f. High Definition Powder, Corrective Yellowe.l.f. High Definition Loose Face Powder, Corrective Yellow
- PHENOMENAL FINISH – Our powder creates a “soft focus” effect on the skin by hiding fine lines, wrinkles, blemishes and imperfections for a radiant complexion, while adding a smooth finished look to your full coverage foundation and concealer.
- LONG LASTING COVERAGE – Our amazing High Definition Powder is incredibly soft and translucent, making it ideal for everyday wear, either alone or over your favorite e.l.f. foundation. Works well with highlighting or contouring makeup as well.
- PERFECT FOR BAKING, SETTING AND FINISHING – This radiant powder is great for finishing and setting your base look without giving you the heavy, caked-on feel that some powders create. Provides smooth under eye coverage as well.
- e.l.f. High Definition Loose Face Powdere.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder Loose Powder, Lightweight
- Sculpt, shade, define and brighten with this 4 shade powder contour palette.
- It’s customizable to match your skin tone, and easy to blend for a gorgeous complexion all day.
- Infused with vitamin E to nourish your skin.
Top 5 Non-Toxic Concealers with GoodGuide Rating = 10
- Alima Pure ConcealerAlima Pure Cream Concealer
- CREAM CONCEALER: A comfortable, face and eye concealer that gives you coverage right where you want it. A perfect color corrector concealer made with hydrating, vitamin-rich ingredients that hydrate the skin, and blends seamlessly. Cream Concealer comes in ten shades for easy coverage to enhance the look and feel of your skin–not hide it.
- USES: Cream Concealer minimizes dark circles, balances redness, hides blemishes, and reduces the appearance of hyperpigmentation. Nourishing ingredients like beeswax, avocado oil, shea butter, and tocopherol soothe your skin while you wear it. This balmy, buttery formula is easily applied with a sponge, brush, or your fingertips.
- ABOUT US: Alima Pure is a natural cosmetics brand from Portland, Oregon. Made using clean, non-toxic ingredients, our products are designed for everyone.
- RMS Beauty”Un”Cover-upRMS Beauty “Un” Cover-Up Concealer – Organic Cream Concealer & Foundation, Hydrating Face Makeup for Healthy Looking Skin – No.11 (0.2 Ounce)
- A lightweight foundation and concealer for the under-eye area and face. Provides even coverage for flawless looking skin that will never look heavy or dry.
- This concealer is formulated to reveal and enhance healthier looking skin, not just cover it up. Use it as a foundation or a light concealer as it visibly melts into the skin while covering imperfections and redness. It moisturizes and heals, resulting in a beautiful second skin.
- Completely lightweight and hydrating to the skin, the “un” cover-up will reveal more youthful and radiant skin while minimizing the appearance of pores and rejuvenating the skin. For overly dehydrated skin, minimally apply lip&skin balm first. For a matte look or for very oily skin types, set with “un” powder or tinted “un” powder.
- Almay Clear Complexion ConcealerAlmay Clear Complexion Concealer
- Formulated with opaque pigments and the maximum-strength dose of derm-favorite salicylic acid—so it doesn’t just disguise existing blemishes, it helps prevent new acne breakouts
- With aloe and chamomile
- Creamy, comfortable Matte finish
- DHC Velvet Skin CoatTITLE
- Prime your skin for complexion perfection with DHC’s Velvet Skin Coat and Velvet Skin Coat Travel Size.
- Powder-gel formula instantly minimizes the look of pores, fine lines and imperfections
- Organic olive oil provides antioxidant protection from daily environmental stresses, while silica absorbs excess oil and sweat.
- bareMinerals Barepro 16-Hour Full Coverage ConcealerbareMinerals Barepro 16-Hour Full Coverage Concealer
- SHADE: Medium-Neutral 08 — Crease-proof, waterproof concealer for skin-improving, long lasting coverage.
- Cruelty-Free, Vegan, NO Parabens, NO Gluten, NO Talc, NO SLS, NO Tree Nut, NO Synthetic Fragrance.
- BAREPRO 16-Hour Full Coverage Concealer with a natural-looking soft matte finish, the ultra-creamy stick is the ideal under eye concealer, gliding on with no drag and never creasing.
‘Drugstore’ Clean Beauty Brands
- E.L.F (ranges from a non-toxic 10 to a toxic)
- Maybelline, this brand also has a wide range of products that go from being non-toxic to toxic. Their pressed powders and eyeliners are pretty safe.
- L’Oreal Paris, an old favorite of mine. I often liked to buy lip glosses and mascara from this brand. I stopped when I turned over my organic, clean and green leaf!
I’m bummed to see Revlon’s Photoready Foundation score a 4 on the GoodGuide Rating scale. It was my favorite inexpensive foundation back when I shopped at CVS and Target for my makeup!
Revlon’s products are medium toxicity with not a lot scoring a ten.
Long ago, Neutrogena burst on the scene and it was a novelty to have a sort of ‘hypoallergenic’ brand of makeup which I always assumed was a cleaner, safer option.
I was obsessed with their sesame oil and a few other products always made their way into my bathroom.
The good news is that several affordable products you can find at Target and on Amazon are deemed clean and non-toxic.
Last update on 2022-07-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API